At my place, Christmas is a time where it's socially acceptable to wear a santa hat in public, belt your heart out singing Christmas Carols, watch a heck load of Christmas movies (Love Actually has been on repeat) and gather with family during an epic feast amongst a mountain of scrunched up wrapping paper and shiny ribbon.
So keeping up with the festivities, I made these Christmas Cookies which are super yummy and are the perfect compliment to the next screening of Love Actually...
AND MERRY CHRISTMAS YA FILTHY ANIMAL !!! (no animals were actually harmed, I'm just a hardcore Home Alone fan).
- 8 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp almond spread
- 1 tbsp of tao nutrition choc protein powder
- 1/4 cup of cocoa or cacao (but feel free to add more if you just really like chocolate)
- 2 cups of cashews
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of water
- for the toppings: almond spread, goji berries, muesli, coconut flakes (but you can use any dried fruit, sweet spreads or roasted nuts you have on hand)
1. Place all ingredients (except for the topping ingredients) in a food processor and blend on high for about 5 mins until all the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is no longer crumbly. For a smoother consistency, add about 1-2 tbsp extra of water.
2. Place mixture in a bowl with a flat surface (I used a baking tray), making sure that the mixture is spread evenly.
3. Place in fridge for at least an hour so the mixture hardens.
4. Take mixture out of fridge and using a cookie cutter or the top part of a cup/jar, press firmly into the mixture so a circle forms. Repeat this step until all the mixture has been used up.
4. Top cookies with toppings. Enjoy!