Guilty pleasures are pretty much a secret. You only tell those close to you what they are or perhaps, you haven’t told anyone. You’re kidding yourself if you said ‘you don’t have any’. I’m not buying it. And we can just feel ya mum rolling her eyes… For some reason, we have an on-going urge to fit in, to save our face and not be seen as ‘the one with the weird fettish’. We don’t want to be labelled as ‘the one who constantly wears winter pyjamas’ or ‘the one who plays S Club 7 on repeat’… We want to be known as ‘bloody spectacular’ not ‘the off-trend weirdo’. I feel you! But in all honesty, before you opt out and go back to updating your snapchat feed, here’s why we shouldn’t give a damn…
Think about this way… is listening to S club or wearing winter pyjamas in the front yard going to harm society ? I might blind bang on-trend fashionistas with my unsightly presence or make my family’s hearing insane but other than that, it’s not going to kill anyone. If your ‘guilty pleasure’ is harmless (ie. doesn’t fall under the category of global annihilation, murder or harm etc) than what’s the harm in sticking to it? The worst thing that could happen is social suicide and in the words of Dr Suess ‘Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind'. Don’t be ashamed of your guilty pleasures, they’re part of who you are. If it’s something considered ‘unhealthy’ like a triple layer choco cake (have a vegan one. plz), what's the harm in having it once in a while? Just don’t be ashamed of liking that choco cake. WHAT’S THE HARM IN CHOCOLATE CAKE IN MODERATION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Tell your best friend your guilty pleasures. HECK, you might even go the extra mile and tell your FRIEND or maybe even your FAMILY FRIEND. Sure, call me weird, but success doesn’t come from normalcy. They come from innovators. People who have differences and use their quirks to think outside of the box. So use yo quirks and eradicate the ‘guilty pleasure’ stigma. Because really, stigmatising guilty pleasures means your stigmatising your quirks which make you unique!
1. song: Bang Bang by Arinna Grande, Nicki Minaj and Jessie J (as of Jan I have played it 605 times)
2. food: pan de coco ( a filo sweet treat which is coconut and a hella lot of sugar placed in bread)
3. tv show: “So Awkward” - a recent thing, on ABC3, demographic is children - sue me, it’s a good show and adorable AND “The Zac Files” forget Ross and Rachel, Cam and Gwen are hands down my fave on screen couple (ok they never we a couple but I can dream can I?!?!) …
4. movie: “Now and Then” - coming of age movie starring four 12 years olds during summer, apparently had bad reviews when it aired but I like it. And not ashamed to admit it.
5. hobby: dancing in my room. do that multiple times a day. if I’m not on the internet, room floor dancing is where I’ll be.
*please excuse me whilst I potentially experience being a social outcast and hefty banter that will occur form those who know me personally*
So, if you’re brave enough… comment below and tell me what your guilty pleasures are!
- Andrea x